Applicants for BWSF must fulfill the following criteria:
- Female, residing in Contra Costa County
- Have at least a 3.5 unweighted GPA
- Be active in community service
- Be in need of financial aid
- A graduating High School senior, or Junior College student ready to transfer, who will be attending a 4 year college/university in the fall
Click the following link to download a Scholarship Application in Adobe Acrobat format:
Scholarship Application - Adobe Acrobat format
You can download Adobe Reader by clicking on the button below:
Candidates applying for a BWSF scholarship must submit a complete application package, which includes the following items:
- Correctly filled out application form with school advisor’s signature;
- An official sealed transcript;
- A copy of the essay you submitted for your college applications (or write a 1-2
page essay to the prompt: “If you had to describe your biggest mistake, what
would it be and what did you learn from it?”);
- A short personal letter from you describing your interests, academic intentions,
and what this scholarship would do for you;
- A letter from a family member describing your family’s financial situation and
why you need financial help;
- Documentation of financial need (W2 form, last year’s tax return, etc);
- A letter of recommendation from your school advisor or a teacher;
- A second letter of recommendation from someone in the community who knows
you through community service or work; and
- A list of your awards/honors and community service/work activities. Include #
hours/month and # years you participated in each activity.
*Incomplete applications shall be given no recognition and no response.
*Applicants will be asked to provide information relating to their financial status and/or that of their parents or guardians.
*Evaluation of all applications and selection of the award recipient(s) will be made by the Blackhawk Women’s Scholarship Fund.
*The Scholarship Committee will conduct personal interviews with the semi- finalists to assist in the selection process.
Guidelines for Scholarship Recipients
- Award recipients must maintain at least a 3.0 GPA during the period in which they are receiving the scholarship money.
- Recipients are required to complete the school term for which the award is paid out. Failure to do so will require re-payment of the amount awarded.
- Scholarship checks will be written out directly to the college/university you are attending in the fall. The scholarship money can be used for school expenses only (tuition, room & board, books).
Applications must be postmarked by March 18, and mailed to the following address:
Blackhawk Women's Scholarship Fund
P.O. Box 2991
Danville, CA 94526
Recipients will be notified before May 1.